Forms of hosting services
A hosting solution is connected with depositing and/or sharing certain web content on a web hosting server administered by a hosting provider. There are various kinds of hosting services used for different goals, so let's have a glance at them. In this way, you can decide what you want, depending on whether you'd like to set up a web site, e-mailbox accounts, or to share files with friends and associates.
- File hosting: a service made available by some companies, which enables you to share huge files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only designation is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free file hosting accounts frequently involve ads by the download links, while a timer compels you to await a specific amount of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file storage account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely twisted interpretation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would allot the tasks at hand between separate sets of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving different web page hosting services (email, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is only a brand of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; some providers provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting brand is suitable if you desire to share an enormous number of pictures with comrades or partners since the solution is usually free of charge. You will receive a random link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to handling your email aliases. Some suppliers provide webspace hosting solutions for sites, but do not supply an email hosting service. If you wish to launch an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to keep a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can open e-mail box accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of utilizing this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video creates a given amount of CPU load, so with several videos and several hundred web site viewers, you may have a hard time with your hosting quotas. Embedding the video file will permit you to administer as many videos as you wish without worrying about system resources.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you need if you want to own a web site. To a certain extent, it involves all of the abovementioned hosting brands since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and email accounts, upload videos, and so on. At SupremeServer, for example, you can have a peek at web hosting and dedicated web hosting solutions that allow you to have all of the aforementioned services in one location. There may be limitations depending on the type of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web hosting package may be better or worse juxtaposed to the customary email/file/video/image hosting plans that are purposed for specific content only.